Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sharath in Copenhagen


Most of you probably have already seen this video which was first posted on Youtube three days ago. As of a few minutes ago, it already has more than 8000 views. But I thought I'd post it here anyway, in case you haven't seen it or want to see it again. In this video, Sharath discusses what the practice is about, and the place of asana in the yoga practice. There are a few new stories he hasn't previously shared before (to my knowledge). For instance, there is that very entertaining story of him doing kapotasana in a tent in Africa while a lion is prowling outside; I did not know he has been to Africa.

But many of the things he shares here are not new, but are worth listening to and pondering over again, if only to put our personal practice and struggles into perspective. For instance, he recounts how he used to get up at 2:30 in the morning to drive across Mysore to practice alone with Guruji. Nobody except Guruji knew what he was doing, but he did this for years anyway. Gives me a new perspective on my home practice; I don't get up at 2:30, but I have to admit that there are days when I get up and think to myself, "Really? I really have to put myself through all these physical contortions again?" At moments like these, it's good to remember that there are others who have been on, and are still walking on, the same path.

Anyway, that's enough editorializing from me. I hope you enjoy the video.   

2 comments:

  1. I have been following & enjoying your blog for a while now. Love the candidness of your writing & views. About this post...yes, there were days I've asked myself, really...do I really want to go through the whole thing again? And I actually whined to one of my teacher that I'm just wondering why I'm there, in the most pathetic manner. Thank you for putting thing into perspective. It's comforting to know that there are others who have been & still walking on the same path.

    N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and enjoying my blog. It is good to know that there are people out there who are benefiting from reading what I have to say ;-) And yes, let's continue to support one another on this path.

      Delete