Monday, September 12, 2011

Full moon

I've been feeling quite bloated for most of today. The feeling is just beginning to subside in the last hour or so. It probably has something to do with getting home late last night from the Twin Cities (way past my usual bedtime). It probably has something to do with the fact that I ate an overly-large late lunch/early dinner just before making the drive back up here. It probably also has something to do with the fact that I stayed up late last night to read, taking advantage of the fact that today is a moon day, and I could sleep a little later. It  probably also had something to do with what I actually read : I read a passage in my book about a nineteenth-century young Chinese emperor who died of smallpox.I'll spare you the gory details here, but suffice it to say that they did not help me to go to sleep.

And I suppose it probably had something to do with the full moon. At any rate, I felt so bloated and sleep-deprived when I woke up this morning, that I decided to do a light practice anyway (3 Surya A, 3 Surya B, and padmasana), even though this is a moon day. I decided that practice would actually make me feel better. And it did, to some extent. But I also decided to stop there, since it was the full moon, and I didn't think I should push things too far. I also wonder if the full moon may also have aggravated this bloated feeling, in the first place; after all, if the tides are higher during the full moon, and the human body is 70 percent water, wouldn't the full moon also "raise the tide" in the human body, so to speak, and aggravate whatever bloatedness was already there?

I think there is a little conundrum here: The full moon may make one more agitated and/or full of fluid, even bloated. If one does not practice, it is hard to relieve this agitated state. But if one practices, one risks overextending/overexerting, and possibly injuring oneself. Funny situation, no?   

No comments:

Post a Comment