Friday, August 12, 2011

Rebooting...



This has been a day of many rebootings...

(1) I had lunch with a couple of friends earlier today. One of them shared with me a dream he had last night. In the dream, he was present at his own funeral. He didn't know what to make of the dream, and was somewhat disturbed by it. I'm no dream interpretation expert, but I do remember reading somewhere that dreaming of being at your own funeral generally means that one is experiencing the death or passing of a certain phase of one's life, or a certain self-conception. Seen in this light, dreaming of being at one's own funeral is actually an auspicious thing, since it augurs the beginning of a new self--a rebooting, if you want to think about it in computer language :-). I shared this interpretation with him, and he seemed happy to hear my interpretation. I also expressed my envy at the fact that he had the dream he had, and told him that I wished I have had this kind of dream. Honestly, I have never dreamt of being at my own funeral before. It'll probably be a cool dream to have :-)

(2) After lunch, we went to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which is a rebooting/reimagining of the original Charlton Heston movie. I am a big fan of the original, so I went into the movie with great expectations. And I have to say that the movie exceeded my expectations. It was very well thought-out and executed, with a great performance by James Franco and Cesar the ape. I highly recommend it. Be warned, though: If you are easily upset by depictions of cruelty to animals, this might be a hard movie for you to sit through.

(3) My computer is taking a very, very (very) long time to start up, and the problem has not resolved itself, despite multiple attempts on my part to restart/reboot the computer. Very, very annoying. I'm actually writing this post from the public computer in the coffeeshop...

Well, I suppose I can approach this problem like a very difficult asana: How present can I be with a much-slower-than-usual computer? Can I breathe evenly through computer-glitch-asana? Makes me realize how technology-dependent I am... Looks like I'm going to have to have the tech guys on campus take a look at it on Monday. Monday! Ahh, but today is only Friday. Seems so far away... No, Nobel, must stay present; don't freak out! Breathe!

(4) Tomorrow (Saturday August 13th) is a moon day. As such, it is an opportunity for us to take a rest from our Ashtangic labors, and allow our minds and bodies to "reboot".

Okay... how much more ranting about rebooting can I go on about? If you have actually read this far, I thank you for your patience with my ranting. Have a wonderful moon day, if I don't get to a computer before then :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment